Another favorite and simple, easy to make meal. Perfect for a busy weeknight when you want something, healthy, savory & satisfying.
To make this recipe even faster I recommend using a mini food processor.
You will need:
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups rice, I prefer Jasmine
- 1/4 – 1/2 a medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- Fresh cilantro & oregano as desired
- 1/2 cup frozen multicolor peppers – you can use fresh as well, but when they are out of season frozen is easy to swap
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can black beans, rinsed or 1 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight & pre-boiled until desired softeness
- sea salt, to taste – about 1-2 tsp
- Chop jalapeno, onion & garlic. In medium saucepan, heat olive oil over lowest setting. Add chopped jalapeño, onion & garlic. Sauté on low, do not allow to overheat or garlic will burn.
- Add fresh chopped herbs, dried spices & salt to saucepan. Continue to saute over low heat.
- Chop multicolor peppers, with knife or in mini food processor. Add to saucepan.
- Add the 2 cups of uncooked rice to the saucepan; stir to coat with oil and spices.
- Add 3 cups of water to the rice mixture and tomato paste; cover with tight lid and turn heat to high.
- When steam begins to escape from side of lid and water is boiling turn heat down to lowest setting. I usually move the pot so it is halfway off the burner or it will keep steaming. Allow to cook for 15 minutes. Stir in black beans. Turn burner off and set the pot on the still hot burner for an additional 15 minutes. This cooks the rice perfectly.
- Serve as a side dish with your favorite meal or eat as a simple one dish meal with some guacamole, cilantro pesto or salsa!