Lentils are the easiest dry beans to make. They cook fast, are full of nutrients and are inexpensive. Lentils, like many other beans, have this wonderful ability to absorb the flavors of the spices they are cooked with. One of my other favorite ways to have lentils, is simply to blend over boiled lentils into spaghetti sauce and Voila! an easy way to get extra nutrients into my kids!
Just 1 cup of lentils provides as percent of daily value:
- 90% folate
- 63% fiber
- 37% iron
- 36% protein
- many other vitamins & minerals!
To make this dish you will need:
- cutting board
- mini food processor
- large frying pan
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves+ garlic
- 1/2 a chunk of fresh ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cups dry lentils
- desired amount carrots, peas & sugar snap peas, can also use peppers
- 1 tablespoon+ salt
- 3 cups water
- spices: curry, cardamon, cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne & dry mustard (follow my measurements or season to your own tastes)
1. Begin by rough chopping and peeling garlic, ginger and onion. I use 3 cloves garlic, half an onion and about 1/2 a chunk ginger
2. Chop garlic, ginger, and onion finely.
4. Add spices to sautéed garlic, ginger and onion.
5. Immediately after adding spices, add 3 cups of water. Bring water to a simmer.
6. Add salt and lentils to pan. Cover and cook.