Step One: Identifying the obstacles to organization
This working from home has been a whole new world for me. I used to go to work all day and was also in grad school. I had a routine, always got all my school work and work work done. I had a cleaning person every other week and a nanny to help with the kids and after school chores.
Now it’s different, I am home every day so no more nanny or cleaning lady. No more school work, because I have graduated. It sounds easier right? So than how is it that I get less done daily?
The first thing to do is identify what I am calling the obstacles and the things that have changed since I started working from home.
1. Working from home – seems pretty basic. I am running a business out of my house, this requires storage of materials & packaging supplies. I no longer have an out of house office to use as a catch all for all my work things
2. Working from home – I am home all day & therefore make more of a mess.
3. Working from home – I get comfy in the house & don’t want to leave as often, plus it’s really cold out.
4. Dogs – we got 2 new puppies in September, they are a huge time drain & I am allergic to them which effects my energy level.
5. Distraction – I will start on one thing & get distracted by another, the internet is a huge time drain.
6. Routine – clearly identified working hours are no longer in place, I am kind of on call at all times to my customers.
7. Routine – I do shows on the weekends now & lose time with my kids.
8. Creativity – I used to use all my time driving to different locations to think up new ideas & I used my bluetooth for phone calls (I am horrible at phone calls from my house phone)
9. Inertia – when I get settled in & comfy I don’t like to get active. The old resisting a change in state of motion, that’s me.
10. Overwhelmed or underwhelmed – I am actually one of those people who performs better when I have multiple things going on, when I hit a down slope & there are not enough things to do nothing gets done. Some days I look at my list and think thats not that much, so I procrastinate & what do you know a few hours later I am in panic mode because something changed & I suddenly have too much to do
11. Boredom – laundry is boring, cleaning bathrooms also boring, basically housework is boring!
Now that I have outlined some of the obstacles I will be reviewing ways to address working at home successfully!